Don’t Let Pets Have a Spooky Halloween

Halloween is a fun time for children and adults alike. Many pet parents like to include their pets in the fun, and we all get a kick out of seeing the creative costumes pet parents come up with.

But pets can get critically ill from consuming candy, decorations and costume components. Play it safe and follow these Halloween safety tips from a veterinarian.

Keep Halloween candy out of the reach of pets. Make sure bowls and bags of candy are inaccessible, and tell children not to feed their candy to pets.

Candy can contain chocolate, xylitol, raisins and macadamia nuts, which are extremely toxic to pets.

Don’t leave candy wrappers out. If a pet eats a wrapper, it can cause life-threatening obstructions to the intestinal tract.

Keep pets inside. It’s common for pets to find ways to escape yards and homes when they become frightened. Halloween is the second-most common holiday for dogs to go missing, just behind the Fourth of July.

Keep your pets away from the front door. Pets can easily escape out the front door when it’s opened for trick-or-treaters. Even if your pet is friendly, they can become wary of the noise and sight of dressed-up strangers, which could lead them to bite or flee.

Ensure your pets can be properly identified. Make sure each pet has an up-to-date microchip, collar and an ID tag with your phone number on it, just in case Fido escapes.

Keep Halloween decorations out of the reach of pets. Keep them away from lit candles, jack-o’-lanterns, glow sticks and glow jewelry.

Beware of pet costume hazards. For some pets, wearing a costume can be a strange and stressful experience. If your pet can tolerate a costume without stress, make sure the costume fits properly and is comfortable.

Be alert for signs of trouble. Signs your pet may have ingested some­thing dangerous include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and difficulty breathing. If you notice any of these signs, get your pet to an emergency vet immediately.